Do you need travel insurance for Argentina?
A question that comes up a lot in relation to traveling to Argentina is whether to buy a travel insurance policy. Argentina has public health care and anyone who is in the country can seek emergency treatment at public facilities. But the once exemplar public health care in Argentina has declined from the good old days and as with many things in Argentina, what sounds great in theory may turn out to be tricky to navigate.
What this means in practice is that if you are not gushing blood from your head when you enter the hospital you may have to wait for several hours in the emergency room to be seen and have to shuffle around from line to line before you see a doctor. While both public and private health care professionals in Argentina tend to be excellent, public hospitals are not really places where you want to spend a lot of time. Often the facilities are dilapidated, stray animals hang out in the hallways and cigarette smoke bellows from offices. Any prescription medicine, or medical devices such as crutches or an arm sling will cost money if you are uninsured.
If you are a young risk taker, relying on Argentina’s public system may be good enough. If you like to be on the safe side, want extra protection against theft or lost baggage, have a preexisting condition, are traveling with family or plan on doing adventure sports, you may want to consider travel insurance.
Our preferred travel insurance partner, World Nomads keeps you traveling safely. They cover residents from over 150 countries and you can buy, extend and claim, even while traveling. Here are some reasons to buy travel insurance with World Nomads:
- Save money —By focusing on what you need and leaving out what you don’t, WorldNomads.com prices are some of the most competitive online.With travel insurance that’s made for independent and adventurous travelers, their insurance includes what’s important: overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and cover for a range of adventure sports.
- Stay flexible —If you left home without insurance or wish to extend your plan, World Nomads allows you to buy travel insurance, extend your policy or claim online, 24/7, even while traveling.
- Be adventurous —From skiing & snowboarding in New Zealand to whitewater rafting in Patagonia, World Nomads covers a range of adventure activities, giving you peace of mind to get the most from your travels.
Get help when you need it most
World Nomads is backed by a suite of strong, secure, specialist travel insurers who provide you with great coverage, 24 hour emergency assistance and the highest levels of support and claims management when you need it most.
- Stay safe on the road — All World Nomads members have access to up-to-date travel safety alerts, as well as travel safety advice and tips online Travel Safety Hub.
- Flirt in 25 languages and stay in touch —Get all the best phrases in the local lingo with WorldNomads.com’s series of iPod & iPhone Language Guides. They’ll help you stay in touch with family and friends with a free travel blog.
- Make a difference when you travel —When you buy a policy from World Nomads you can help make a difference to developing communities. Your small donation helps fund local projects through the WorldNomads Footprints program and you also help keep Wander Argentina going at no extra cost!