One thing you need to know before you travel to Argentina: it’s weird.
Argentina marches to the beat of its own carnival, candombe or protest drum.
This quirky country at the end of the world requires a little homework before travel.
Hot-of-the-press guidebooks can be useless because the information changes rapidly.
And fair warning: there are also vloggers, bloggers, so-called influencers who just pass through for a few days, take pictures in front of famous landmarks and then hire writers in India who’ve never been to Argentina.
Just because someone has an Instagram shot in front of the Tortoni Cafe does not mean that they have a lay of the land. Be sure to read reliable sources!
Even the Buenos Aires Tourism website notes that it is illegal to change money on the black market and encourages tourists to use ATMs or official exchange houses, in other words, paying twice the price for your vacation which no one in their right mind does.
Possible results of getting the wrong information or not doing your research are not limited to:
- – getting burned by ignorance of the Blue Dollar
- – getting yelled at by a taxi driver for innocently taking an Uber at the airport
- -getting bamboozled by the bird poop trick
- -finding yourself with a broken shoe heel in the middle of downtown Buenos Aires
- -not being able to find a nice rare steak even though in the land of steak
- -unwittingly snubbing a local due to poor mate drinking etiquette
- -getting caught ‘hiking the Appalachian trail‘ with an attractive local 😂 (okay, maybe not)
Here are some pages with information useful for travelers to Argentina: