On Saint Paddy’s Day everyone claims to have Celtic blood and it’s no different in Buenos Aires.
Saint Patrick’s Day (Irish: Lá Fhéile Pádraig) is celebrated annually to commemorate the passing of St. Patrick, patron saint of Ireland, who died on March 17 in the year 493.
St. Patrick’s Day Parade 2022
In Buenos Aires, there is an annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade to help the more than 500,000 Irish in Argentina celebrate.
This year, Saint Patrick’s Day celebrations will start on place on Saint Patrick’s Day, Saturday, the 19th of March along Avenida de Mayo.
Traditional Irish food and beer will be on offer in stands along Avenida de Mayo, starting at noon.
The elves, fairies, bagpipers and Irish dancers will honor the homeland with the parade beginning at 3 p.m.
Afterward there are live music and dance performances featuring Irish-flavored rock and folk groups, which usually includes an U2 tribute band along with performances by the Irish dance troupes, Emerald Dance and Celtic Argentina.
The event is hosted by the Argentina-Ireland Association, the Buenos Aires city government and the Irish Embassy in Buenos Aires.
St. Patrick’s Day Schedule
This year the celebration is on Avenida de Mayo and Peru streets, near the Plaza de Mayo
• 12:00 p.m. Activities begin
• 3:00 p.m. — Annual St. Paddy’s Day Parade,
• 3:45 p.m. Parade ends and celebrations continue
• 4:00-7:00 p.m. live music and dance
Irish Pubs in Retiro
On March 17th in Buenos Aires visitors will find St. Patrick’s Day celebrations in the city’s ‘Irish Pubs’, such as DownTown Matías, Druid Inn, John John and The Kilkenny around the Retiro area.
Visitors may even be able to find Guinness, now that it is being produced in Argentina.
They will also find other dark beers and traditional Irish dishes such as Colcanno, made the Argentine way.
Be forewarned that these rowdy bars are nothing like pubs in Ireland.
Watch this video to see the usual scene that takes place every year.
Indeed, it is probably due to the out of control party that the city decided to move the official celebrations away from the pubs and to Plaza de Mayo to lesson the typical St. Paddy’s Day chaos.
Irish Pubs in Buenos Aires
• Down Town Matias — Reconquista Street 701
• Druid Inn — Reconquista Street 1040
• John John — Reconquista Street 924
• The Kilkenny — Marcelo T. de Alvear 399
• The Irish House — San Martín 979
• Saint Patrick’s Irish — Pres. José Evaristo Uriburu 1714
• Sullivan’s Irish Pub — Jorge Luis Borges 1702, Palermo
• Slainte Irish Pub Palermo — Fitz Roy 1747, Palermo
• Dubliners — Humboldt 2000, Palermo
• The Shamrock — Rodríguez Peña 1220 (Recoleta)
• The Clover Pub — Av. de Mayo 1357/ Piedras 78 (San Telmo)
• The Malin Head — Bolívar 583 (San Telmo)
• Temple Centro — Marcelo Torcuato de Alvear 945
• The Celtic Pub — Carlos Pellegrini 551 (Microcentro)
• Irish — Av. Pres. Julio A. Roca 691 (Monserrat)
• Molly Malones — Perú 253
Smaller St. Patty’s Day Events Around Argentina
Some smaller towns around the country have their own St. Paddy’s Day celebrations, usually on the Saturday closest to Saint Patrick’s Day.
The town of Luján in Buenos Aires province will be celebrating the 120th anniversary of their St. Paddy’s Day pilgrimage and parade on the 15th, beginning at 10:30 a.m.
That will be followed by a mass in the Basílica Nuestra. Sra. de Luján. The service will be followed by a lunch and social that will feature Celtic music and dance. See the link below for more details.
The event is organized by the Federation of Irish Argentines and the Irish-Argentine Association of Luján.
The local Pub Notre Dame de Luján is the place for the after party and they now have real Guiness.
On the 17th in Buenos Aires sometimes people gather in Plaza Irlanda in Caballito, from 11 a.m. onward, but there has been no official announcement this year.
The Hurling Club of Buenos Aires
The Hurling Club of Buenos Aires also has a yearly festival, and then dinner and dance to honor St. Paddy’s Day in their very authentic-looking pub.
On Saturday the 19th 2022 beginning at 12 p.m.
Get in touch with the club to find out more details.
The Hurling Club
Gdor. Vergara Avenue 5415
Tel: 4665-0903/ 4662-8358
9:00-11:00 p.m.— dinner
11 p.m.— performance and dance